Saturday, April 9, 2011

Making cheese!

Right now I'm waiting for the dripping to stop! Hubby must have hid the camera 'cause I can't find it to take pictures. He thinks it's a bit silly to take pictures and post them...Sigh...I love him anyway.

But I have all this milk and thought what the heck... I used two quarts of milk, brought the milk up to 180 degrees and added a 1/2c. lemon juice which was about two and a half lemons.

At first I thought I did something wrong because I didn't see large curdles(cottage cheese) but then I noticed it was seperating in tiny little bits. I lined a colander with cheese cloth and placed it over another pot. I poured the speckly milk into the cheesecloth and noticed how the specks began to build. Pretty cool stuff!
As the whey ran out the bottom I started to pull up the sides of the cheese cloth bringing the ends together creating a sack. I rubberbanded the top and then tied some kitchen string around the bands and hung the "sack" from my cupboard door over the colander. I'm waiting for it to stop draining.
Next I'm going to add some minced garlic and salt to give it some flavor. I thought some chives would be nice too but I don't have any right now. The whole purpose for doing this is to use what I have and save money. So running out to buy chives would be counter productive.

I'm going to use the whey to make a couple loaves of bread. Instead of water I will use this. Waste nothing!
I'm off to squeeze my cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment